PLEASE READ THESE TERMS BEFORE USING THIS WEBSITE
Notice Required by the Information Practices Act
CSE is a nonprofit 501(c)3 corporation and is designing, implementing and maintaining this website with its partners The Nerdery, private corporations, on behalf of the California Public Utilities Commission in coordination with the California Energy Commission for the Energy Upgrade California® brand and its related statewide marketing, education and outreach and home upgrade program. Information you provide through this website is submitted directly to The Nerdery and may be shared with CSE. Any personal information collected from you by The Nerdery on behalf of the California Energy Commission is subject to the protections established by the California Information Practices Act of 1977 (”Information Practices Act”) (Civil Code, sections 1798 et seq.). Personal information includes, but is not limited to, your name, social security number, physical description, home address, home telephone number, education, financial matters, medical or employment history, family size and composition, and energy usage.
The purpose of Energy Upgrade California® is to make it easier for Californians to educate California’s about the full suite of energy management actions, options and programs offered by utilities, local governments and the State of California and connect Californians with local programs, rebate offers, contractors and financial incentives. Participation is voluntary. Therefore, if you submit information into this website, including information that may considered personal as defined by the Information Practices Act, you must agree and acknowledge that you are providing such information voluntarily, and that you are permitting the disclosure of your personal information subject to the Terms and Conditions provided herein.
Pursuant to Section 1798.17 of the Information Practices Act, you are hereby provided the following notice:
- The state agency requesting this information is the State Energy Resources Conservation and Development Commission (California Energy Commission), Efficiency & Renewables Division.
- The Energy Commission Specialist I at the Energy Commission is responsible for the system of records and shall, upon your request, inform you regarding the location of your records and the categories of any persons who use the information in those records. You have a right to access records with your personal information maintained by the Energy Commission.
- The Energy Commission is authorized to maintain your information by Public Resources Code, section 25218(e).
- Each item of information you submit to Energy Upgrade California® is entirely voluntary. This program is optional, and designed to assist you with making and financing energy efficiency improvements to your property.
- The potential consequences of not providing all or any part of the requested information in this website include but are not limited to: inability to provide you the best information about energy efficiency upgrades, incentives, contractors and financing; inability to connect you directly with contractors, utilities, financial institutions and other participating partners to facilitate your energy upgrade project. You may be able to benefit from programs and incentives not funded by the Energy Commission by contacting the partner directly, outside of this website.
- The principal purposes for collecting this information (“Principal Purposes”) include but are not limited to:
- - providing you the best information about energy efficiency upgrades, incentives, contractors and financing;
- - connecting you directly with contractors, utilities, financial institutions and other participating partners to facilitate your energy upgrade project;
- - sharing program information with participating local governments;
- - monitoring, verification and evaluation of energy efficiency projects;
- - monitoring the expenditure of public funds for fraud, waste and abuse; and
- - research and analysis of the types and effectiveness of energy efficiency projects in California;
Participating in Energy Upgrade California® and submittal of your personal information into this website requires your voluntary consent to disclose your personal information to participating partners for the Principle Purposes described above, at any time without limitation after you submit the information, except that your personal information will only be disclosed to those specific contractors or financial institutions which you expressly authorize by further written consent.
Disclaimer of Liability
Energy Upgrade California® and its administrators and partners shall not be held liable for any improper or incorrect use of the materials or information described and/or contained in this site and assumes no responsibility for user's use of them. In no event shall Energy Upgrade California® and its administrators and partners be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary or consequential damages (including, but not limited to, procurement or substitute goods or services; loss of use, data, or profits; or business interruption) however caused and on any theory of liability, whether in contract, statutory liability, strict liability or tort (including negligence or otherwise) arising in any way out of the use of this site or materials and information herein, even if advised of the possibility of such damage. This disclaimer of liability applies to any damages or injury, including but not limited to those caused by any failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer virus, communication line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, alteration of, or use of record, whether for breach of contract, tortious behavior, negligence or under any other cause of action.
Disclaimer of Warranties / Freedom from Computer Viruses / Accuracy and Use of Information / Continuous Service
The materials in this site are provided "AS IS" and without warranties of any kind either express or implied. Energy Upgrade California® and its administrators and partners disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
Energy Upgrade California® does not warrant that the functions contained in the materials in this site will be uninterrupted or error-free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free from viruses or other harmful components.
Energy Upgrade California® does not warrant or make any representations regarding the use or the results of the use of the materials or information in this site, or the accuracy, adequacy, completeness, legality, reliability, or usefulness of any materials or information in this site. Changes may be periodically made to the content of materials or information in this site, and these changes may or may not be reflected in the materials or information as presented in the site. Additionally, due to the dynamic nature of the Internet, materials and information freely available one day may be restricted the next day, or removed and undiscoverable due to changes in the organization of menus, homepages or files.
Disclaimer of Endorsement
Reference in this site to any specific commercial product, process or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer or otherwise, does not constitute or imply an endorsement, recommendation or approval by Energy Upgrade California® and its administrators and partners.
Disclaimer for Hypertext Links
Energy Upgrade California® is not responsible for the contents of any off-site materials referenced. The user specifically acknowledges that Energy Upgrade California® is not liable for the defamatory, offensive or illegal conduct of other users, links or third parties, and that the risk of injury from the foregoing rests entirely with the user.
Links from this site to other sites on the World Wide Web do not constitute an endorsement from Energy Upgrade California®. These links are provided for informational purposes only. It is the responsibility to the user to evaluate the content and usefulness of materials or information obtained from other sites.
1. Information Collected
The Nerdery, may prompt a user of the service, depending on the user’s actions and requests, for personal or secure login information. For example, when a user attempts to store updates to their property characteristics or to save their on-line project files for later retrieval, The Nerdery, will request the necessary information to create or access a password-protected account for that user. And when such an active account user requests and authorizes The Nerdery, service to release their project files or other information to one or more third-party vendors, the user may be prompted to provide more personal information for the purpose of facilitating such contact with those vendors.
Examples of the types of personal and property-related information that The Nerdery may collect include:
- Email Address(es)
- Account User Name(s)
- Personal Password(s)
- First and Last Name
- Site or Property Address(es)
- Contact Phone Number(s)
- Type and Physical Characteristics of Buildings on Site or Property
- Tax Lot or Other Property Identifying Information
- Property Use Characteristics
- Size of Site or Property
- Soil Type and other GIS Information About the Property
2. How Your Information is Used
How we share information with contractors
When you submit your information and you authorize and request that it is shared with contractors, your information is used to match you with, and is transmitted to, contractors who you specifically select who can best serve your needs to facilitate their direct contact with you.
How we internally use technical information to improve marketing
By submitting information to The Nerdery, and by expressly selecting specific contractors through The Nerdery, website, these contractors or vendors may contact you using the phone numbers and/or email addresses provided. In order to stop these communications, you must contact the contractors directly and request that they stop contacting you.
Last Revised: April 25, 2016
Copyright © 2014-16 California Public Utilities Commission and California Energy Commission. All rights reserved